Sorry, I have to disagree. For our new users I'd like to reiterate that
the three most common reasons that Linux does NOT recognize the correct
amount of memory are: dirty RAM, mis-matched RAM (different
manufacturers) and shared RAM.

Shared RAM can be corrected with a one line script. Dirty RAM can be
corrected by removing and cleaning the contacts. Mis-matched RAM can
usually be corrected by buying two or more sticks from the same
manufacturer or retailer at the same time. Be sure to check the sticks
ID before you buy it.

Linux will always recognize the correct amount of RAM. I have previously
used 64EDO, 128 P-100, 160 P-100 and now I have 256 P-100 on a Tyan
board with VIA chip. It was all recognized correctly at the first boot.

Windows almost always recognizes the correct amount of memory just as it
correctly identifies Winmodems. Unfortunately trying to compare Winblows
with Linux is like trying to compare a cow and a sailboat. There is not
comparison and Linux is a lot smarter too!

I'd also like to make a comment about motherboards and Linux. I recently
wrestled with a peculiar problem. I couldn't install Mandrake properly
regardless of what I did, and I was limited basically to the command
line. After nine months of fooling with the box, the BIOS, the VIA
chips, etc., I found the board had a bad I/O connection and weak memory.
Even though the memory was correctly recognized Linux was smart enough
to know there was something wrong and would not perform properly. I
haven't had a problem since I changed the board and memory.

Pj