Mark I won't go there with the comment on compaqs. Their servers are good,
though.

But if your celeron machine is failing like this, then you should take a good
look at the following componets;

Power supply. If you don't have a scope or cannot borrow one then try
        switching out this.
Memory, I don't want to think about all of the odd problems that funky
        memory, can cause. I don't really care what brand of memory
        it is, it can be bad from any manufacture, though the
        companies that do rigourous testing tend to have fewer problems.
Try taking out all un-necessary componets like sound card, modem,
        and so on. try installing with just the following components;
                cpu
                motherboard
                video card
                mouse
                keyboard
                hard drive
                cd-rom
                floppy drive
        if you still have problems with just the above componets, then try
        changing the parts one, by one. Any of the above can cause the
        machine to do weird things. I kind of doubt that the mouse or
        keyboard are causing any problems, but they are easy to change,
        so change them also. There are interupts for all of the above
        parts, or, at least via the controller that talks to the above parts

On Sunday 03 December 2000 08:00 pm, you wrote:

> > I would say definately a hardware issue here. what kind of hardware are we
> talking about in this compaq? I don't have a lot of experience other than
> bad experiences with compaqs.
>  --
> Mark
>
> / * Sometimes it becomes necessary to rock the boat
>   * in order to get the rats up from below decks
>   * so they can be kicked over the side and drowned!
>   *
>   *   REGISTERED LINUX USER # 182496
>   */
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*REPLY SEPERATOR*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 Ed Ewing had this to say!
>
> > Not a newbie but certainly feeling like one.
> > Burned a cd with the iso image and have tried every install option and
> > always hangs when going to second stage.
> > Hardware problem? Trying to load on Compaq.
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Ed

Douglas Moreen
email   [EMAIL PROTECTED]