I am not sure if it might help to pass the following to the kernel at
boot.

"ide0=dma, ide1=dma"

I can't test this as the only dma66 controllers available are production
machines running LM 7.1:

I guess if that doesn't fix it, maybe someone in the know would be kind
enough to compile a kernel with udma66 support compiled in and make a
new boot disk ?

Buchan