I could use that answer too.  Same thing happened to me last night - trying
to access my cdrom as a user, it told me I didn't have access rights.  As
root, I would simply get an input/output error message.  I could mount and
unmount cdrom but not access it (It was a supermount drive).

I ended up editing fstab, changing the cdrom line from supermount to user
mountable like the old kde-1.1.2 way.  Later, damn thing, I changed it again
to be supermount and it works again.  Now I get to wait until the next time
it randomly decides I have no access rights to it.

I selected security level 3 during install so I would rather doubt it is some
security lock-down thing...

Is supermount broken in some way?  I have had similar problems with a
supermount zip drive.  Don't know about the floppy since I rarely use it
anyway.

--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain
---