If you run 'make oldconfig' in the root directory of the original kernel,
this will create a file called ".config". If you're compiling a later version
of the kernel and have a separate sources for it, copy .config into the root
directory of that version. If you're simply modifying your original kernel,
leave .config where it is.

Now when you run 'make xconfig' (or whatever other method you use), you'll be
starting with the configuation that produced the original kernel.

M.