I have checked the file associations in konqueror and they are as they should
be.  All files with the *.rpm pattern are associated with x-rpm but when I
view a site with rpms on it (or my own home directory with downloaded rpms)
they carry a netscape association such that if I select one, it tries to open
netscape rather than kpackage or other appropriate app.

I tried adding *.i586 and *.i686 to the pattern thinking that it is making
the common netscape mistake of truncating the filename one dot too short but
this didn't help.  MOST rpms are still displayed with netscape icon
associations rather than the proper rpm icon.

How does one correct this?
--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain
---