Thanks everyone for the replies. My final decision was to buy the HP 950c.

A close decision, but it came down to:

Pro:

1) HP was $250, as opposed to the Epson at $400

2) HP had better quality printing (2440x1220 dpi as opposed to 1440x720)

3) HP have recently launched an opensource driver project:
http://www.linux.hp.com/printers_and_linux.html. Also HP have employed Bruce
Perrens: http://www.linux.hp.com/news_events/perens.html whereas, it is my
understanding (although I can't find anything definitive to confirm this)
that, although the Epson print standard is open, Epson do not, themselves,
support Linux.

4) According to  http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html  "Note that
Epson inkjets are not best for black text, although most of the non-low-cost
models will do reasonably well."

5) HP print heads are in the cartridges, so they are changed everytime you
change a cartridge = easy to fix/replace print head.

Con:

1) Linux drivers for Epson, mostly, work better then HP ones.

2) The HP is 2nd hand (but only used for 6 weeks)

3) Photo printing is better (for now) on the Epson (from Linux)

4) Epson print heads are in the printer, not the cartridges, so cartridges
are cheaper (but repairs aren't).

Overall, it was a close decision, and if I had had to pay new price for the
HP, I would have bought the Epson!

The others:

Canon don't support Linux, and won't release their proprietry drivers, so
their printers are not fully functional under Linux. If they won't support
Linux, and I want to use Linux, I won't support them (by giving them my
money!).

Lexmark are now releasing proprietry Linux drivers for some of their
printers, but not my 2030. If they did, I wouldn't need to buy another
printer! And they still won't open their propriery interface.

Well, I think that's all.  Thanks again to all who helped, both to this list
and direct to me.

Trevor