You have got a lot of tips by other users, even one recommending a
Lexmark inkjet.

I recommend Epson. Go to

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Epson

and choose one of the "Perfectly" working models which are supported by
the "stp" (GIMP-Print) driver. To install the printer under Mandrake
7.2, search for the appropriate "CUPS + GIMP-print" entry in the printer
list. In addition, make sure that you have the newest version of the
printing stuff. Read

   http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php3?sid=20001214090405

After the installation you should get excellent printouts, even if you
do not perform a colour calibration ("calibrate-gimpprint" at the
command line). In addition, there is a maintenance tool for Epsons
("escputil" at the command line, "man escputil" for documentation).

I have an Epson Stylus Color 440 here. The photos look really nice,
without calibration and even on plain paper. For good text printing make
sure that you have updated to the newest version, as I have told above.

There are also good HPs, but HP does not support the free software
programmers very well. The new Photo RET III technology is not supported
for that reason. The CRET II is under development and I am doing a lot
of tests on an HP DeskJet 840C so that the GIMP-Print people can approve
the quality. The problem is the transition between black ink and the
mixture of all three coloured inks. So HP is not good for photos, but
the print heads are changed with the cartridge (better for people who
print VERY few pages. For now I cannot recommend HP.

Lexmark has started to publish Linux drivers, bur they are not free
software (source not published) and there are no PPD (printer
description) files for CUPS to use them. So usage under Mandrake 7.2 is
rather difficult. The Z52 is also supported by GIMP-Print, but I do not
know how the quality is.

Canon is also a bad choice, no support for Linux by the manufacturer at
all. Sudden changes of the protocol (BJC 5xxx not supported at all) and
probably much worse output quality with GIMP-Print than you can expect
from Epson.

So I think, the Epson Stylus Color 760 is your choice.

If it does not work, check

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=96288

And in general, see also

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html