Hello civileme,

Sunday, December 24, 2000, 8:01:22 PM, you wrote:

c> On Saturday 23 December 2000 15:36, you wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Recently I downloaded Quake2 and got the thing installed, but when I try to
>> start the game per the instructions in the readme file I see this message
>> displayed in the terminal.
>>
>> [root@mdw1982 quake2]# ./quake2
>> Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
>> couldn't exec default.cfg
>> couldn't exec config.cfg
>> Console initialized.

c> Do you have a kernel running with framebuffer support?

c> If so, try one without the framebuffer.

c> Civileme

>> ------- sound initialization -------
>> sound sampling rate: 11025
>> ------------------------------------
>> recursive shutdown
>> Error: Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx
>>
>> What does it mean?
>>
>> Mark

 This can be caused by a missig pak file too! I used to get very
 simliar errors ( especially about default.cfg etc ) then I realized
 those pak files are actually packages containing many files.

 Mounting my quake 3 cdrom and making a symboling link had resolved my
 trouble

 ln -s /mnt/cdrom/system/pak0.pak  ~/baseq3/pak0.pak

 was something like that. The idea is to make that file put in your
 hard drive. I made a symbolic link not to loose space, thanks to ext2
 :)

 Onur