On 2000.12.26 Mark Weaver wrote:
> That is correct ergo the reason for using chmod 4755. that way nromal users
> can access the file owned by root.
> --
..

> On Tuesday 26 December 2000 05:02, you wrote:
> > I believe you must be *root* to ifup or ifdown.
> > Pj
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I've just started using the ifup and ifdown scripts instead of KPPP for
> > > dialup.  Just one problem though...I get an
> > > "Users cannot control this device."  error every time I try to run the
> > > scripts.  I've done a chmod 755 on /dev/modem and /dev/ttyS1 as well as
> > > each of the scripts.  Any ideas?

You should not use that. That are to be called by higher level scripts.
You should be using /etc/ppp/scripts/ppp-on and ppp-off (perhaps yours are
named just pppon and pppoff), and they set up everything and call ifup-ppp.

If you use that you just have to setup options in /etc/ppp/options.

One other issue is who is allowed to dial. I think it can be done cleanly
through the usermode tools, but I never get involved with them. There
are two ways to do that:
- Make the modem device world writable: chmod 666 /dev/ttyS1 (not 755, you
  don't have to EXECUTE(run) the device, just be able to write to it in
  addition to reading, to configure it and send init strings).
- Make /sbin/pppd or /etc/ppp/scripts/ppp-on (off) suid (chmod +s .....)

I think the first way is less 'unsecure'. I now have a cable connection,
so I don't remember if both things were needed.

--
J.A. Magallon                                         $> cd pub
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.2.19-pre3-aa1 #1 SMP Tue Dec 26 00:05:53 CET 2000 i686