On Tuesday 26 December 2000 23:05, you wrote:
> Every 20 times starting linux, the system check the harddrive partition,
> ; this is OK. I have the linux in two partition (hda5 and hda7) and the
> swap partition to.
> When the system check the partition hda5 shows 0.2% non contiguous, but
> hda7 shows 2.5% non contiguous blocks and this is every time increasing.
> Is there any way to reduce this fragmentation?
> I am runing Mandrake 7.2 with kde 2.01
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Francisco Alcaraz
> Murcia (Spain)

Do NOT expect a lot from this program in terms of performance improvement.

ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/defrag

Fragmentation has a far smaller effect on performance in GNU/linux ext2
filesystems than it does in vfat or NTFS types.  For the reasons why, go here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/expert@linux-mandrake.com/msg17753.html

Civileme