On 2001.01.09 Anthony Russello wrote:

> Has nyone ever set up multiple monitors under linux (using two separate
> video cards)?
>
> Would I be able to run a console on one screen, and an X session on
> another and be able to somehow switch between the two?  Or will both
> monitors only be available inside X?
>
> If anyone has any information regarding this, I would greatly appreciate
> it.  I could find almost nothing on xfree86.org in their documentation.

XFree 4.0+ has the ability to do that. You have to define two "Device" sections,
two "Monitor" sections, two "Screen" sections and setup the section
"SeverLayout" for your setup, configuring things like 'screen 1 is right of
screen2'.

Usually they are independent screens, but also you can use 'Xinerama'.

Look at:
http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.2/RELNOTES4.html

--
J.A. Magallon                                                      $> cd pub
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.4.0-ac4 #1 SMP Mon Jan 8 22:10:06 CET 2001 i686