On Sunday 07 January 2001 12:35, you wrote:

> You'll be able to play MP3's on the Pentium CPU since it has a math
> co-prossecor, but unless you've got a DMA capable hard drive and lots of
> RAM the songs will play back real choppy. You need to first load the

Speaking from personal experience, MP3's (especially those encoded for >=128
bits) require a lot of oomph in the CPU to play well. They can likely be
played well if you have a little faster CPU (say a Pentium >200 mhz). On my
Pentium 100, many MP3s sound choppy except the OTR ones that are recorded
with lower fidelity (they don't need it, since they are mostly AM recorded
old time radio shows -- for that, the P100 is fine).

You will get better response using a command line app like mpg123. It is
quite easy to tell the difference in audio output using mpg123 vs. xmms or
KDE's mp3 player (that one is worse). The graphics introduce too much
overhead.

You also don't have a lot of memory, so if you run in X, you'll want to use a
less memory-hungry desktop/window manager. KDE or GNOME would be way overkill
for what you want to do, in my opinion.

> In my opinion, you'd be better off using a text-based version of Linux
> with a text-based MP3 player. You could then control the player through

Agreed as well.

> Stef

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       on your hard disk.