On Saturday 13 January 2001 10:44 am, you wrote:
> I once thought I had this fixed but it isn't so.
>
> I ask you to indulge me here if you are using KDE 2.1.  Delete the desktop
> icon for your CDROM device.   Now try to re-create it using the desktop
> menu for Create new.
>
> I imagine that upon doing this many of you will find that the icon doesn't
> work.  You can click all you want on what SHOULD be a working CDROM device
> icon but nothing will come of it.  If you look in your .xsession-errors
> file you will likely see entries like this for each time you clicked on the
> BROKEN device link:
>
> Syntax error: Unknown command '/mnt/cdrom'
>
> This problem will arise if you delete and try to re-create your other
> device links too (other folders/mount points).
>
> Here is what my CDROM kdelnk contents look like after re-creating the CDROM
> device:
>
> [Desktop Action Eject]
> Exec=kdeeject %v
> Name=Eject
> [Desktop Entry]
> Actions=Eject
> Dev=/dev/cdrom
> FSType=supermount
> Icon=cdrom_mount
> MountPoint=/mnt/cdrom
> ReadOnly=true
> Type=FSDevice
> UnmountIcon=cdrom_unmount
>
> Looks OK, but it isn't.  Konqueror fails to open the damn CDROM and instead
> adds a ridiculous  "Syntax error:..." message to .xsession-errors.
>
> Why would KDE people break something so simple and fundamental as this?  It
> has worked fine since KDE's inception but now, with the latest versions, it
> is broken BIG TIME.  It makes much of the desktop unusable as a result.
> Oddly enough, if you open up Konqueror to your home directory and then
> navigate over to the offending mountpoint (/mnt/cdrom or wherever your
> cdrom is mounted) it will work OK.  The device link on the desktop chokes.
> I can't even look at Trash because Konqueror refuses to open the damn thing
> on the desktop.

I have the same problem when I upgraded to 2.1 twice.  That's right it didn't
work right the first time either.  When I tried to open it it would come up
with the right click "open with" dialog.  The only folder/device icon that
worked was the home icon on the panel.  Right clicking on that and looking on
the preferences/execute tab gave this: kfmclient openProfile filemanagement.
I used that on the open with dialog for a folder and all my device/folder
entries worked.  I didn't like the extra entry on my kde menu and tried to
replace it by adding an application but that returned the system to it's
original state and then I couldn't fix it this time.  On the second install
of kde2.1 I fixed it once and am leaving it.  Pretty or not, it works.

Kelley Terry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>