Tom Berkley wrote:

> Did you ask Loki what versions of linux they compiled their game for. I have
> been testing a commercial structural analysis program that is certified for
> redhat 6.1 and 6.2. It runs under 6.2 just fine and under 7.0 it does some
> major hiccups. Next I have to try it with Mandrake, but the purpose of this
> conversation is to let you know that all flavors of "linux" are not the same.

That's true, but the reason your ap misbehaves on Red Hat 7 is that Red Hat 7 has a
different appplication binary interface than any other distribution, due to the
boneheaded move by Red Hat to use a beta version of GCC as their main compiler for
7.0

All Linux flavous aren't the same, but they should each be able to run the same
bianries provided they are upgraded to the level needed byt he applciation.

Mike

> Ask the vendor and make your system comply with his specs if you expect to have
> it run properly. Even within a revision of a given distro there are problems
> that you have to deal with and when you expect every distro to be perfect for
> your expectations, you set yourself up for a fall - you know like gnashing
> teeth, grumbling, frustration, snarling, smashing ....
>
> Tom Berkley
>
> Praedor Tempus wrote:
>
> > Has anyone purchases Heretic II from Loki and actually managed to get it to
> > work on Mandrake 7.2?  On a 7.2 system with XFree86-4.0.2?
> >
> > I must say I am becoming disgusted with Loki on this.  Linux will NEVER make
> > it with the general user if it is impossible to simply install and run a
> > freakin' game that is LINUX NATIVE, fer shit's sake.
> >
> > Anyway, trying to run the game totally dicks up my X session.  The game
> > doesn't run, just get to the game menu, but trying to actually start a game
> > crashes it and this totally screws up X - resolution goes to virtual, mouse
> > quits working, and I have to do a Ctrl-Bkspc to get it all back into working
> > order.
> >
> > --
> > Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain
> > ----
> > Praedor

Mike MacCana     Support Consultant
          C Y B E R S O U R C E
   Level 9, 140 Queen St Melbourne 3000
Ph : +61 3 9642 5997 Fax: +61 3 9642 5998