Have you fixed the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 file by adding
/usr/bin/kdmdesktop at the end?  That will enable X to read the kdmrc
file.  I fixed mine before the upgrade, and all is well with KDM.

Also, my appologies to the "quoting monitors" but I thought it necessary
to include the entire thread for reference.

Ron

Here is the file:
#!/bin/sh
# (C) MandrakeSoft
# Chmouel Boudjnah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

if [ -f /etc/profile.d/kde.sh ];then
 . /etc/profile.d/kde.sh
fi

[ -z "$KDEDIR" ] && KDEDIR=/usr

if [ -x $KDEDIR/bin/kdmdesktop ];then
#      /usr/bin/kdmdesktop
# Commented above line and added next line because of kdedesktop issues
# fixes background.
      /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -solid "#112233"
else
      /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -solid "#112233"
      /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole -geometry 880x230-0-0 -daemon -notify
-verbose -fn
 fixed -exitOnFail
fi

#inserted by me - kdmdesktop has to be called after xsetroot!
/usr/bin/kdmdesktop
Xsetup_0 lines 1-22/25 87%