How are fonts and printing supposed to work under KDE2.

I have a brand new unmodified 7.2 distribution with a local printer
(BJC610) and a remote printer (Laserjet4 equivalent on a WinME box)
setup by the install and working normally.

When I try Kword, fonts appear normal on screen (several different
fonts and point sizes).  When I print to either printer, point sizes
and bold/italic/normal is correct, but everything is in single font.

When I try Abiword, fonts appear normal on the screen (same as above,
but different font choices).  When I print to either printer, some but
not all fonts appear correct.

Any clues?

---
Thanks,