I'm having problems with xmms and kde (the versions installed by LM
7.1).  If I click on an mp3 file in kfm (after changing the appropriate
application and mime settings), about 75% of the time xmms complains
with:

Couldn't open audio
Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected
2. No other programs is [sic] blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured correctly.

The other 25% of the time, the mp3 starts playing as it should.  I also
get this error when playing mp3s from a playlist.  The first plays,
finishes, and then I get the above error message when the second mp3
tries to start.  I have no other sound problems when it's all kde, so
I'm wondering if kaudioserver is the culprit (e.g., it's having problems
with non-kde apps).  This problem also occurs on my workstation at the
office with different hardware, same software.

Thanks for any help with this.

---Norvell Spearman