The earlier versions, particularly the versions with 7.1 suffer badly
from that problem - getting worse over time.  Often doing a manual "rpm
-Uvh problem.rpm" using the rpm that MU downloaded to its cache and
rebuilding the rpm database afterwards would fix it (though in some
cases the actual rpm can be corrupt).  Running MandrakeUpdate from an
xterm will show what the error is.  Running it from an icon loses some
of the important messages.  Usually the rpm fails for some reason and
may/may not install, but MU still wants to do it again.  Overall,
upgrade MandrakeUpdate, grpmi etc to the latest versions will help the
most.  I have never seen or found any documentation on MandrakeUpdate so
far.  It is also possible to export a directory via nfs (I use the
/var/cache/grpmi of the MandrakeUpdate on the gateway machine) and point
the MandrakeUpdate of another machine to that - In effect I upgrade one
machine, and use those rpm's to do the other.  As long as the
configuration (installed base) is similar, you only need to download
once to your network.  It should also be possible to use a script to
watch a mirror etc and keep the cache up to date automatically for all
rpm's - has anyone done this and can publish the script/utilities they
use?

BillK