>>> This is a good point. I don't think Samba supports pam.d rejection of
>>> passwords and since I'll be using password synchronization this is really
>>> important. I guess I'll just have to live with weak passwords untill a
>>> better solution comes my way.
>>> Has anyone tried to do something like this?

We regularly have to set up student accounts for our Linux network using
some rediculous;y simple passwords the College computer services assigns
to each students (we do try to make them change the passwords as sson as
possible). You seem to be in a similar situation. Our solution is to
modify the /etc/password or /etc/shadow files directly (well, in our
case really some files used by NIS to create the maps). Our perl scripts
simply encrypt those passwords and writes the complete user information
to those files. It then creates one of our standardized home directories
customizing the preference file appropriately.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Chair of Science