Here's my two bits. First off, the warnings about hosing your monitor
don't apply as much as they used to. These days, monitors are smart
enough to notice that if a particular refresh rate or scanmode is too
much for it to display it will blank the screen and tell you as such.

But go ahead, plug in the new monitor. Any generic KDS or above will be
able to deal with the specs in the XF86Config for the old one.

If you want a half way decent set of specs to use that should give you
85Hz refresh at 1024x768, use these. They've been safe on every 17"
monitor or larger I've come across in the last 2 years. You may want to
go runlevel 3 just to test if you're the cautious type.  : )

In your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, find these lines and replace them
with the values I have here.

HorizSync 39.0 - 78.5
VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0

Your new monitor manual should tell you exactly what the min and max
are, but these are conservative enough to work most anywhere and still
look good.

Derek