You have reinstalled kde2.1 on a clean install of 7.2?  OK, try this:

Delete your .kderc, do an rm -rf on your $HOME/.kde directory, and then
delete everything in your $HOME/tmp AND as root delete everything in the
system /tmp directory.

Reboot (actually rebooting may be overkill but be radical).  Login.  At this
point you get the default kde session.  Open kcontrol.  It SHOULD be working
now.  Go to the file associations menu.  Go to html under text.  Add
konqueror (when you select the add button, just type in "konqueror", do not
go down the list and select Konqueror Web Browser).  Now select it in the
window and move it above Quanta.  Select the Embedding tab at the top.  On
this page the window will have "KHTML" in it.  Select "Add" and then go down
the list you get and find "Konqueror".  Select it.  Move it above KHTML.  Hit
"Apply".

Now your html links should work.  This worked for me.  Now links in kmail
actually open up in konqueror as they should and Quanta doesn't open up in
its stead.

On Friday 02 February 2001 23:30, you wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2001 01:59 pm, you wrote:
[...]
> > Perhaps you will be relieved to know that I got fed up with whatever the
> > problem was (since no one seems to know SPECIFICALLY what file contains
> > the information that kcontrol looks for with regards to X-KDE, etc, AND I
> > had time to WASTE).  I downloaded the whole mess AGAIN.  I uninstalled
> > all of KDE and then reinstalled ALL of it again.  Now, kcontrol works.
> > Nice, but I still want to know SPECIFICALLY what file provides the
> > information to kcontrol so when I run into this (it is assured that upon
[...]

> I too have had the same frustrations as you have.  I have been off line for
> 2 days trying to reinstall to get it working.  Reinstalling kde didn't do
> it(probably didn't remove some files?). I upgraded to beta2 following
> Chris' instructions on a clean 7.2 install.  Kcontrol worked but files
> weren't opening properly.  Trying to fix this by editing
[...]
--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.