Hi Cecil and list,
  Thanks for the tip, however it doesn't quite work?
Here's what I've found over the last 45 mins of rebooting:-(
interactive startup and skipping the httpd doesn't prevent it from stopping.
By stopping I mean that I can still type but it doesn't respond.  It seems that it is
still waiting for a [OK] response or something.  It doesn't seem to matter if I
prevent httpd from loading or not, it still only loads to about that far and stalls!

I found that if I go to maintainence mode from linuxconf (init 1) and type your
suggestion: apachectl configtest
it says that sanity check is [OK], then I can init 5 and it goes back and boots into X
with no problem.  It happily goes passed the httpd [OK], drakfont [OK] etc.
However, I tried for completness, going to maintainence mode and then init 5 _without_
typing the 'apachectl configtest' and then it stalls again at drakfont right after the
httpd [OK].

I wrote this mail from within my linux but only after the above fiasco.  Any other
suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Doug.