I did a test install on my second machine, which fortunately was my prvious
client, so usb and all was configured and working on that pc.  So I moved my
craddle over and gave it a test after the install.  The sync was a no-go.
After much trial and error, I tried downloading the source rpm for
gnome-pilot helix style and recompiled with the visor=yes option.  That
nailed it.  The sync worked.  I still have an issue with cards not being
updated and it times out when backing up advantgo, heck the conduit does even
work.  So we could say I have 3 problems, but the malsync is the lowest on my
list.

I figured I would then use the helix-update give evolution user preview a
run, I got dependency errors when it went to install.  So I bagged the
evolution stuff for the moment.  I may give Nautilus a shot and then go back
to evolution.  I still have decided if I am going to put this on my main
client yet

I got lucky and figured out how to add gnome to the kdm menu, then I saw an
an email that pass through this group yesterday that detailed how to get
helix-gnome into the kdm menu.   It was exactly the same steps I followed.
Sort of I put the wrong exec in the first time.

I have sound on the other machine, but is running a sound blaster live card
and that thing has never missed on Mandrake.  The machine with no sound under
gnome has the intel on-board sound card.  If I get all else under gnome, I
may live with out sound if it isn't there and switch to kde for multi-media
stuff.