About 7 times out of 10 I find the answer buried in a file somewhere in
/var/log/samba.  Try accessing the Mandrake box again and look for which
file(s) change, then tail those files and see what they say.  Samba is
pretty good about telling you what happened if you know where it logs
to.  Also, occasionally for some reason Samba just stops talking correctly
and executing "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart" will fix it (I get this
problem all the time because the version of samba that came with LM 7.2
seems to have issues with me having two NICs and wanting access on both).