Sounds to me as if you may need to check the docs (extensive) that came with
Samba.  I have had similar problems with Samba and the problem was finally
resolved when I imported a file into the Windows (NT in my case) registry
which reset the windows machine to accept  un-encrypted passwords.  Once
this was done the problem was resolved.

As I say, the docs that come with Samba are pretty extensive and there are 3
docs (I think) that cover this problem titled by the Windows version ie
Win95/98, WinNT etc.

Samba is so configurable it can be difficult sometimes to get it running
from a standing start.  Using the basic config file outlined in the Howto is
a good starting point.  The standard config file installed by the package
doesn't always work.

regards

Daryl