Dear friends:

I have a very minor but annoying configuration problem occasioned by the
installation of my new USB 100 meg zip drive. I have configured it
correctly, and it works perfectly well using supermount. I had
previously installed a Netgear 4 port 10/100 hub. I had no problem with
the login until I installed the new zip drive.

The problem is simply that when booting into Linux, I cannot
automatically get to a login screen. Instead, I get information about my
zip drive and hub and then the boot process just stops (hangs). That is,
I then need to type Cnt + C, which takes me to a login screen. No big
deal, but I am just curious what could be causing this.

Here is the data:

1) This is what I get upon booting into Linux (along with the Penguin
and the usual LM72 info to the right of the Penguin):

LM7.2 for (Odyssey) i586
Kernel 2.2.17-21mdk
sher login: scsi0: scsi emulation for USB Mass Storage devices.
scsi: host
Vendor: IOMEGA Model: Zip100 Rev: 44.w
Detect4ed scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id0, lun0
scsi device sda: hdwr sector=512 bytes, Sectors=196608 [96MB][0.1GB]
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: unknown partition table
hub.c: already running port1 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...

2) fstab and mtab -- see attached files.

[sher@sher sher]$ cd /etc/
[sher@sher /etc]$ cat fstab
/dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/windows vfat user,exec,umask=0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/mnt/zip /mnt/zip supermount fs=ext2,dev=/dev/sda 0 0
[sher@sher /etc]$

[sher@sher /etc]$ cat mtab
/dev/hda6 / ext2 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /home ext2 rw 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/windows vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=0 0 0
/mnt/zip /mnt/zip supermount rw,fs=ext2,dev=/dev/sda 0 0
automount(pid544) /misc autofs rw,fd=8,pgrp=544,minproto=2,maxproto=4 0
0
automount(pid563) /net autofs rw,fd=8,pgrp=563,minproto=2,maxproto=4 0 0
[sher@sher /etc]$

Thank you all so very much.

Benjamin

--