Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to do something which seems simple, but is
perhaps deceptively difficult. Let me explain:

I have an elderly laptop upon which I have installed Red Hat 6.0. This was
an interesting procedure because (a) the laptop has no floppy drive, and (b)
it can't boot from a CD-ROM. Which is tricky, given that just about every
installation method relies on a bootable CD-ROM or a boot floppy. How
exactly I got it working is described at
http://www.ar.com.au/~storm/toshsat200cds.html but basically it involved
copying the entire Red Hat CD onto the hard drive, rebooting into DOS (it
had Win95 installed on it when I obtained it) and using their autoboot.bat
utility.

OK, that worked fine. But now, I would like to upgrade it to Mandrake 7.2.

Same problem - can't boot from CD-ROM, can't boot from a floppy. But I also
can't find any pointer to how to kick off the installation from a working
Linux system, as I was able to kick off the Red Hat install from a working
DOS system.

My guess is that maybe if I added a Lilo entry to boot from the hard drive
as usual, using the kernel on the hard drive, but with the CD-ROM as the
root disk? Would this launch the installation as if it had been booted from
the CD? I suppose I probably should experiment a bit before pestering this
mailing list, but I'm at work, the laptop is at home, and I figured I'd ask
now and see if anyone could save me messing around..

Cheers!
David...

This e-mail, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and are confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access by any other
party is unauthorised without the express prior written permission of the sender.  If
you have received this e-mail in error you may not copy, disclose to any third party
or use the contents, attachments or information in any way.  Please destroy it and
contact the sender via the Thomson Financial switchboard on (44) 207 369 7000 or via
e-mail return.  Internet communications are not secure unless protected using strong
cryptography.  This e-mail has been prepared using information believed by the author
to be reliable and accurate, but Thomson Financial does not accept responsibility for
the timeliness, accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any
changes to this e-mail, howsoever made, after it was sent.  [The content of this
e-mail and files transmitted with it is  (c) TFSL - 2000]