At 11:45 AM 3/14/2001 -0800, Faisal Gillani wrote:
>  can you tell me what is the diffrence between openssh & ssh ?

SSH was written by Tatu Ylonen as a replacement for telnet.  It was
originally released under a non-commercial license and then the licensing
was changed as ssh went commercial.  The protocol was known a free (as in
beer) replacement was written (I think the effort was started by Theo De
Raat for the OpenBSD project).  OpenSSH is based on an older release (the
original 1995 release) of SSH, but has maintained compatibility with the
SSH product.  For more about the OpenSSH/SSH question, search ZDNet,
Slashdot, The Register and some other tech news sites as this distinction
has recently hit the news.  Ylonen is attempting to enforce the 1998
trademark on SSH, so this particular topic is floating about the internet
currently.

--
Matthew Micene
Systems Development Manager