I am using Mandrake 7.2 with cups on a standalone pc on which I have not been
able to print even though the earlier mdk 7.1 printed fine.  HOWEVER I may
have a clue to what is wrong but do not know how to fix it and could use some
help.

When I enter the command kups in a kde konsole as "su" it  gives me th3e
following error:

_IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address none
Session management error: Could not open network socket

and then opens up the config window for cups showing no printers installed
even though I had installed a printer when installing Mandrake 7.2.

***Twice, I have no idea why, kups opened up and DID show the printer I had
installed when installing Mandrake 7.2 to be present!  but despite my trying
repeatedly since then it has not reappeared again.  I do not know what made
it appear that time and not since which is extremely weird.

Anyway when I try to install a printer under kups it won't let me saying it
can detect no parallel ports.  Yet in /dev there are files named lp0, lp1 and
lp2.  So it is a matter of cups not seeing my parallel port.

Then I had a brainstorm that may be the clue to the problem based on the
error message above.

Shortly after I installed Mandrake 7.2, I wanted to customize it and changed
the default name "localhost.localhost" (which would show up on the top of
some utility apps) to "Jeff_PC".

Now, when I enter in a browser the URL http://localhost:631  it could not
find the cups page.  BUT, when I tried http://jeff_pc:631/admin, that opened
up the admin page for cups.  So, maybe cups is not working because it's files
are hardwired to look for "localhost" where now I have "Jeff_PC".  Problem is
I no longer remember how I changed the localhost name or what the original
default was (localhost or localhost.localhost).  I do recall that Drakeconf
accepted the change but did not implement it and I had to change an ascii
config file somewhere.

Anyone able to help me out of this muddle I got myself in?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Registered Linux User 348854