Just how slow is it?  Is it consistently slow?

Try unplugging the cable modem and see what happens.  That'll tell you if
it's involved.  If you get _long_ delays when it's unplugged, then it's
probably trying to go out to the dns there, and a local dns may help.

You can also put entries in your /etc/hosts file for all boxes on the lan.

Karl