I did it to myself again :-(  I don't know how I did it, but I did it
and I need Help.

Here is the situation. I must like to torture myself. After getting my
office server set up, I find I have an old 486 w/32 meg and 3Gig lying
around and I thought it would make a good name server/mail server or
whatever. So I loaded Mandrake 7.0 (Air) i486 on it.

Everything was going fine. I shut the machine down a day or so ago. When
I fired the box back up today, I could not log in as root. So I decided
to try to log in as another user. I did -- it worked fine. Next I
decided to see if I had a root password problem, so I tried su and
entered the root password. It worked fine!

So I spend another 10 minutes with modprobe trying to figure out what
type of ethernet card I have in the box (no markings on card) and find
the 82596 module works just fine.

So now back to my root login problem. I still can't login as root! No
matter what I try the following is what happens:

login: root
password: (I enter the root password - I know it works because su works)

login incorrect

So I need to know:
  (1) Am I totally whosed? (reload required)
  (2) If not, is there a way to fix this?
  (3) If so, what's the fix?

Any advise would be welcomed. I don't want to have to torture myself
reloading the entire system on a 486 -- It takes a long time with an 8x
CDROM, but not near as long as it did with a 4x.

--
David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas