Depends what are you doing with your machine ... I've got several dual PPro
(these should run very cheap these days). Also, ABIT has a dual - Celeron
MB - BP6. Also, a dual P3 might be OK ... If more cache is more important
for your apps than raw MHz, try sticking to P3 <= 600. I think P3 - 600B
were the last "regular" P3-s to host 512KB L2 Cache (at 1/2 the speed of
the core).

Unless you want to spend really BIG bucks and get yourself Xeon MB +
processors (don't do it if it's for fun only).

For more, check (and subscribe) Linux SMP mailing list -
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It might still be that clustering single CPU machines would lead to better
performance...

Oleg