I am have same problem. I cannot, for the life of me, install a new vmware
machine because of the lilo problem. I have not tried grub or to see what
exactly the problem is, since I just kept using the old ones. Oh yeh, the
problem started when I got 8.0beta2 and was there for beta3. Now, with 8.0
final, vmware segments and does not run anyways. This 8.0 final release is
not as half as stable as Mandrake's other final releases. It feels like a
beta or maybe even an alpha.