I suppose just about anyone will tell you how slow and bloated
StarOffice is, but, IMHO, it does do the job.  SO5.2 does a fairly good
job of importing and exporting MS Word and Excel files....some of the
fancier formatting features may not always carry over perfectly, but it
does an exemplary job considering MS no doubt gives no aid to its
competitors.

The only way you're going to know if it meets your needs is to try it.
Do read the README that comes with the installation prior to actually
installing, it will save you some frustration on the install.  The other
tricky parts come with getting SO to recognize imported TrueType fonts,
Java compatibility (I think it only works with 1.1.8), and maybe a few
other quirks, but most of these have solutions on the Web if you search
around.

Again, a little more effort on the install, but if you want to use a
free, fairly Windows file-compatible office suite that has
'industrial-grade' functionality, you may want to give StarOffice a try.

Tom