[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Any users of StarOffice out there who can comment on it? I can really use
> something compatible with MS Word 2000; KWord just cannot cut it at this
> point and there really is no choice but to be compatible with the MS world
> from time to time, when I have to bring work home.
==============
You will hear that SO 5.x is bloated (it is huge), slow to load,
(it is), and had an unecessary desktop that like to take over,
(it does).  Upcoming versions will supposedly fix SOME of that by
having components load seperately (at this point, the
whole shibbang must load, sortta like M$ Works).
But with all of its faults, I've yet to find something that so consistently
handles M$ Office docs as well, and saves as well in
that format.  Applix isn't bad, but costs,
and Abiword can only handle basics.  SO 5.x has been with me for two
years and has just worked.
HTH,
Mike
--
"Many loads of beer were brought. What disorder, whoring, fighting, killing, and
dreadful idolatry took place there."