(Strange.  On THIS message, the reply-to worked!)

James Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>       Whenever I exit X in Mandrake 8 I get a blank screen and my monitor goes
> into powersave. I can type startx and everything comes back "alive" again. My
> system is set not to boot into X on startup, and I have no problem with the
> command line mode at that time. Only after running X and then exiting does
> this occur.  Doesn't matter which version of Xfree I use. 7.2 had none of
> this behavior on the same machine. The computer is:
>
> Ausu p2b m/b with 400 Celeron
> Intel I740  8 meg agp video card
> 384 meg ram
> 4.3g WD (uh-oh) harddrive

;-)

> Any help on this grearly appreciated, TIA.

That IS strange.  What happens if you hit either ALT-F1
or Contol-ALT-F1 (try also F2 instead of F1, for curiosity
sake)?  (And which one works, if only one works)

What it SOUNDS like is that the display 'forgot' to
switch back to the virtual console 1 (assuming
you started from ALT-F1 console).  But that's
weird.

If nobody else has this problem, I'll go install
LM8 on my laptop and my main machine at home (I've got
it on my soon-to-be firewall) and see if any of those
3 exhibit that behaviour...

rc

Rusty Carruth          Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W