"Bob Puff@NLE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> Here's a weird problem I'm trying to work through.
>
> Mandrake 7.1 machine has two network cards:
>   Card A on 1.2.3.4, with default gateway set to 1.2.3.1.
>   Card B on 20.0.0.20.
> Both networks connect to the outside world.
>
> Problem: I can successfully ping the 1.2.3.4 address, but I cannot
> ping the 20.0.0.20 address.  The ping packet gets to the machine ok,
> (on card B) but the machine is sending the reply packet thru the
> 1.2.3.4 network!
>
> I have another machine similarly configured, and it works fine.
> Also note that from another machine also on the shared networks, I CAN
> ping the 20.0.0.20 address, but I can see the reply is still coming back
> through card A (1.2.3.4).  So at least I know my ping isn't disabled.

That reminds me of an amusing story I'll tell later.

Anyway, what's the output of 'route' (or 'route -n' may be better) on those
2 different machines?

(And for finding out how packets GET there, use traceroute, but
unfortunately it does not tell you how they get BACK!  Here's my
story:   )

I had my laptop set up on a network and was logged in remotely.
I was working on getting dialing in to my new ISP to work, and
had finally managed to get chat and all to go.  So here's a small
picture of what I had:

So, you see, I had 2 ways to hit the internet from my laptop - through
my isp and through my local LAN.  One thing I'd noticed is that ppp no
longer seems to want to overwrite my default route (perhaps I missed an
option, but thats ok I didn't really want it to during my testing).

So, from the workstation I typed "traceroute <ip_address_of_modem_on_laptop>"

The OUTGOING packet went:

        workstation
        router
        gateway
        etc
        internet
        isp
        modem_on_laptop

but, being the inquisitive type, I wondered if the RETURN reply was going
where I thought it would (directly back), so I started up kpppload.  I
could see the INCOMING ping or traceroute packets being registered on
the laptop modem, BUT NOT THE REPLIES.  (so it was doing what I expected)

"Huh?" you say?   Well, my LAPTOP had a default route as well as an
interface ON THAT network segment, so the routing code said, 'heck,
I'll just reply to the direct network segment, its shorter'.

We had a good laugh around here about 'the worlds longest ground loop' ;-)

rc

Rusty Carruth          Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W