I have a Matrox G400 video card, and a Pinnacle Studio PCTV Pro TV card.

I am trying to use xawtv and the bttv drivers as installed under
Mandrake 8.0.

Using my heavily upgraded RedHat7.0 (with linux 2.4.0 and XF86 4.0.1)
xawtv works.

Using my newly installed LM8 distribution (on another partition of the
same hardware) it does not form the TV image correctly on the screen.
The problem is the same as when the video for linux was not told to
use the correct bit-depth for the screen on the old system.

However under the new system, xawtv (either the version that comes
with LM8 or the version in /usr/local/bin that I installed under the
old system) ignores both the options that specify bit-depth and also
the option to tell it not to use the XVideo extension to XFree86.

I tried to change the XF86Config to use 24 bit depth (which I use on
the old system) rather than 32 bit depth, but XF86Config refused to
start, complaining that 24 bit depth is not supported by the Matrox
drivers.  On the old system 32 bit depth is not supported.

I then found that as well as this, the bttv driver had decided that it
thought my card was number 37 (Pinnacle PCTV Rave) rather than number
52 (Pinnacle Studio PCTV Pro).  I therefore alterred the /etc/modules
file to include a line to specify the card=52 option for bttv.  This
option was ignored by: 'rmmod bttv' followed by 'modprobe bttv'.  It
was also ignored by a reboot and by explicitly including the option on
the command line of insmod.

Is there any reason why the bttv driver under LM8 seems to ignore any
options I try to give it, either on initialisation, or when xawtv
tries to use it?

These options all work fine under my old distribution.

        Andrew