On 28-Apr-01 Turgut Kalfaoglu wrote:
>>From time to time I download new packages, install them, and run
>>against
> conflicts, with future makes complaining that I have TWO versions of
> the
> same thing installed. I suspect one was installed by Mandrake 7.2, and
> I blindly installed another one with Make install.
>
> For example, Mesa, or Alsa drivers. What is the 'recommended way' to
> upgrade things?

The clean way is to compile your own rpm.
Get a src.rpm of the latest blah-mdk.src.rpm, get the tar.bz from the
latest tarball, edit the specfile for the version, and build it yourself.
Mostly, when there are no major changes, it builds fine.
If it doesn't build, you might need to edit the specfile somewhat.

Here are a few links to set it up, and to use src.rpm's:
Cooker faq for setting up rpm;
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/cookerfaq.php3
Mandrake's rpm howto;
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/howtos/mdk-rpm/