Hi Anthony,

You could try doing "rpm -iv" or -ivv, to get some verbose messages. Also you
might try firing up another console when it hangs, do a detailed ps listing or
run top or something like that, to see if  you can find out what exact process
is hanging, and if it's gobbling up all the memory, etc.

Just a few ideas.