Some time since last night my keyboard repeat has gone...

I'm baffled - I've been running 8.0rc1 since it appeared, and have been up
and logged in for 16 days without problems. Symptoms are, well, no
auto-repeat. If I change keyboard settings in the Gnome config tool and
hit "Try", auto-repeat comes back, but after an "OK" it vanishes again. It
may be significant that I run W2K in VMware wherein auto-repeat *does*
still work, but that VM has also been up for 16 days.

8.0rc1+Gnome+E on a Celeron 450 with keyboard set to uk102 (it's a proper
clicky IBM :)

Any ideas?

Pete