The /etc files:
[john@homer /etc]$ cat ld.so.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
/lib/
[john@homer /etc]$ grep libsafe ld.so.cache
Binary file ld.so.cache matches
[john@homer /etc]$ cat ld.so.preload
# Mandrake-Security : if you remove this comment, remove the next line too.
/lib/libsafe.so.1.3
/lib/libsafe.so.2.0
[john@homer /etc]$

rpm:
[john@homer /etc]$ rpm -q libsafe
libsafe-1.3-8mdk
libsafe-2.0-2mdk
[john@homer /etc]$

Like i said, i'm a rank beginner when it comes to libraries, so i'm at a loss.
As far as i'm concerned, either rpm or the person who built libsafe-1.3 is at
fault if rpm won't recognize that libsafe is installed. Which it does, clearly,
if i simply query it. But it doesn't if i go to install anything that depends
on it.

Any more ideas?

Thanks :-)