Lets say that you have /var on a separate partition, i.e. you have a
/var entry in /etc/fstab.  To make this work, you must have an existing
/var directory in the root "/" partition to mount the physical partion
on to.  Normally the /var directory in the / partition is empty.

If a file exists on the / partition in the /var directory, you will
not see it if the physical var partition has been mounted on top of
the /var directory.  But you will see it after you have unmounted
the /var partition.

For example:
# ls -a /var
.
..
cache
local
log
... and more

# umount /var
# ls -a /var
.
..
big_honkin_10gb_hidden_file

# rm /var/big_honkin_10gb_hidden_file
# mount /var

Problem fixed.

So how does big_honkin_10gb_hidden_file get created?  Usually because
something went wrong with the mount process at one time. /var was
not mounted.  Some programs (or unaware sysadms) created some files
in /var.  But because the physical /var partition was not mounted,
the files were actually being created on the / partition instead.
Then later the /var mounting problem was fixed, and those files
"disappeared".