Dear friends:

I've been trying to configure VMware for my Windows 98 /mnt/windows partition.

I have an AMD K6-2 400, 128 meg of RAM. Installation of  the VMware rpm went
off perfectly. I am speaking of the interactive installation procedure (I
think it's  called the file "vmware-config.pl").

I have a dual-boot LM 8.0/Win98 SE system. Linux is on hda and hdb and
Windows is on hdc, with the CD-Rom is on hdd.

I read the instructions on VMware's support page, changed the permissions on
the hda, hdb, hdc and hdd and then configured hdc as a raw disk.

The great thing about the latest VMware 2.04  for dual-boot systems is that
you do NOT have to actually install Windows in a virtual disk. You can just
invoke the ACTUAL, REAL Windows on your /mnt/windows partition directly from
within VMware. I know that to be true. I have done it. I just don't know how
to do it right, and I would rather not proceed until I am sure of what I am
doing.

The instructions say clearly to UNmount /mnt/windows BEFORE configuring
VMware.

First obvious question: Do you RUN Vmware with hdc as raw disk with
/mnt/windows MOUNTED OR UNMOUNTED? That is, do you have to UNmount
/mnt/windows every time you run VMware in this case or do you run Vmware with
/mnt/windows mounted?"

I am afraid to proceed any further. I tried and experimented with various
configurations, but I think it's time for me to quit experimenting. I am just
an ordinary user and I'd rather not jeopardize my LM 8.0 installation.

I'd appreciate it if someone who has a how-to or step-by-step instructions in
plain English for my specific situation could direct me a web site where I
could find out how to configure Vmware properly, not only the /mnt/windows on
a dual-boot system but all the other details that are a part of it.

Thank you.

Benjamin

--
Sher's Russian Web