I have run into this several times myself.  With me, the latest such episode
occurred with sixpack, a bibliography application for lyx.  I installed it,
which went fine.  I then try to run it and get the same message you do.  I
then do a "which <executable>" and it properly identifies the executable in
the proper place.

The executable just wont work and isn't recognized.  I then tried
reinstalling and that appeared to do the trick.  I have run into this with
several different programs lately: sixpack, pybliographic, k3d, and a couple
others I can't recall right now.

--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.