Hi,

I've been able to run the memory test so far (Memtest86 - I downloaded it
from the Net, since I couldn't see it in my images directory); just one
cycle of all the tests - no errors.  I'll probably leave it running
overnight sometime to see how that goes.  As for the changing the drive - I
think I'll just try disconnecting it altogether at some point to check.

As for the GIMP, I've done a little more investigation.  The same
(repeatable) problem occurs with both the LM8.0 rpms, and the LM7.2 gimp and
libgimp rpms, when running on LM8 under either KDE OR Gnome.  The LM7.2 GIMP
runs fine on the same machine on LM7.2!

The repeatable problem I have experienced is (1) Startup GIMP, (2) Select
brush tool - you are then unable to select any other tool or do anything
else in GIMP.  Had to kill it with a -9 and received a message similar to
"libGIMP warning: wire_read unexpected EOF".

Thanks,
Darrell