Hi,

I have a DELL Inspiron 4000 coming with a hot swapable CD-RW
and FD. During the installation, I had the CD_RW in the swap
bay and the FD attached to the parallel port.

When later I removed the FD, a df -k made the shell hang,
waiting to reach /dev/fd0. Similar was during shutdown,
where it was waiting for fd0. In both cases, after a minute
or so, FAT bread failed and the system went on.

TO remove this problem, I have changed the /etc/fstab such
that /dev/fd0 is not mounted (noauto keyword). However, when
I want to use the FD, if I change the swap (during the laptop
is down) and boot, and then mount -t vfat /dev/fdo0 /mnt/floppy,
the FD is not detected. However, if I remove the noauto
keyword in /etc/fstab, it is detected.

This is a bit annoying to always change the /etc/fstab file
(though I rarely use the FD). However, is there a cleaner
way to do?

Marc