I've got a Gateway Select computer, 850MHz AMD processor with 128MB.

Linux Mandrake 7.2 installed fine, with no problems.

Linux Mandrake 8.0 also installs fine. However, it won't boot.

It gets *almost* to the "Welcome to Linux Mandrake 8.0" banner and just sits
there. Everything is locked up at this point, requiring a power down of the
computer.

I tried using the RESCUE option on the CD to trim some stuff out of
rc.sysinit. It got me a bit further into the boot process (past the welcome
banner), but it always locks up.

I thought it was a memory problem, but I saw that someone else with a 900+MHz
AMD Gateway Select had the same problem, which I haven't seen any resolution
to.

I've re-installed 7.2 several times now, got a wild idea to try on 8.0, had
it not work, and then had to pick up the pieces again. I'm getting pretty
tired of it.

Can anyone help? Can I install 8.0 a piece at a time via the rpm manager?

-Al