"Jose M. Sanchez" wrote:

> Windows doesn't even know the difference (which is to be expected since
> windows is programmed to leave memory unused while linux tries to make
> use of
> most of it in some way at all times, unused memory considered as WASTED)
>
> If it isn't your memory modules or the connectors on the motherboard
> where
> they are installed, I'll eat my hat.
>
> Civileme
>
> ---
>
> Ok, you MIGHT have to eat it...
>
> All three of his 128meg modules work when only two are used in any
> memory slot on the motherboard. Sound familiar?
>
> Yeap that refresh/decode pairing for similar strips...
>
> Had he inserted 128M+128M+256M (in any order) instead of 128M+128M+128M
> Linux would have probably not had a problem...

The Soyo web site (http://www.soyo.com.tw/) states:
- Three 168-pin DIMM sockets
   (8/16/32/64/128/256MB Module)
- Supports up to 768MB EDO and SDRAM

Unfortunately, the manual/faq for this mobo is not available; though a
completely different card with 3 slots from that vendor claims to support any
size, including different timings.  Benjamin states he tested that the 2 known
good modules work in any slot; but I didn't read that he tested the unknown
stick in any slot other than the middle one, leading me to suspect the stick.
Also, his comment about learning to insert memory suggests that he may have
mishandled (static?) at least the first added stick, especially since it was in
the middle slot which is where most people would start adding...   Benjamin?

> -JMS

Pierre
--
Support Linux development:  http://www.linux-mandrake.com/donations/